- PRODUCTION KNIVES
- Spyderco | Folding Knives
- C65 | Bob Lum Chinese Folder
- Spyderco | C65 - Bob Lum Chinese Folder - Model Information
Spyderco | C65 - Bob Lum Chinese Folder - Model Information
MODEL NAME - Bob Lum Chinese Folder
MODEL NUMBER - C65
DESIGNER - Bob Lum
BLADE LENGTH - 3.156"
CLOSED LENGTH - 4.250"
OVERALL LENGTH - 7.188"
BLADE THICKNESS - .125"
BLADE STEEL - VG-10 / ZDP-189 / HAP40 Core/SUS420 Cladding
BLADE GRIND - Full Flat Grind
HANDLE MATERIAL - Green Almite Aluminum / Blue Almite Aluminum / Black Almite Aluminum / Foliage Green Almite Aluminum / Titanium / Black Nishijin Glass Fiber / Jade G-10 / Cranberry Almite Aluminum Prototype??
BOLSTER / GUARD MATERIAL - N/A
LINERS - Stainless Steel
SPACER(S) - Black Plastic
BLADE FINISH - Satin / Black
LOCK MECHANISM - Liner-Lock
CLIP - Chrome J-Clip - RH - TD/TU / Black J-Clip - RH - TD/TU
THUMB STUD(S) - Spyderco Round Hole
WEIGHT - 2.6 - 3.2 oz.
SHEATH - N/A
YEARS OF PRODUCTION - 2000-2003 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010-2013 / 2018
- C65P - Green Almite Aluminum / VG-10 / PlainEdge / Chrome J-Clip / 2.6 oz. / Late 2000 - 2003 / $169.95 / First Run Numbered / Total Production Unknown
- C65S - Green Almite Aluminum / VG-10 / SpyderEdge / Chrome J-Clip / Late 2001 - 2002 / $169.95 / First Run Numbered / Total Production Unknown
- C65BLP - Blue Almite Aluminum / VG-10 / PlainEdge / Chrome J-Clip / Early 2002 / $184.95 / Total Production 800 - 1000
- C65BKP - Black Almite Aluminum / ZDP-189 / PlainEdge / Black J-Clip / 2008 / $199.95 / Total Production 1200 (Sprint Run)
- C65FGPBK - Foliage Green Almite Aluminum / VG-10 Black Blade / PlainEdge / Chrome J-Clip / 2009 / $189.95 / Total Production 600 (Moteng Exclusive)
- C65FGP - Foliage Green Almite Aluminum / VG-10 / PlainEdge / Chrome J-Clip / 2009 / $169.95 / Total Production 600 / Collector's Club Variant (Moteng Exclusive)
- C65TIP - Titanium / VG-10 / PlainEdge / Chrome J-Clip / 3.2 oz. /2010 - ? / $199.95 / Total Production Unknown / Collector's Club Variant (Moteng Exclusive)
- C65CFP - Black Nishijin Glass Fiber / VG-10 / PlainEdge / Black J-Clip / Late 2010 - 2013 / $199.95 / Total Production Unknown / Collector's Club Variant
- C65GHAP40P - Jade Green Textured G-10 / HAP40 Core/SUS420 Cladding / PlainEdge / Chrome J-Clip / 2018 / $309.95 / Total Production Unknown / Collector's Club Variant (Blade HQ Exclusive)
ORIGIN - Seki-City, Japan
DESCRIPTION - The C65 Bob Lum Chinese folder introduced in late 2000 is one of Spyderco's most applauded designs. The knife initially was made in three different versions, and at least one prototype of this knife also exists (Cranberry PE, originally a color test) that are privately owned by a collector. There also exist a picture of a lot of Spyderco prototypes where there is a bare aluminum version, although this probably stays with Spyderco in Golden. Today there exists also a version with a black handle and ZDP-189 blade introduced in a 2008 Sprint run.
The Spyderco C65 Bob Lum Chinese Folder has a blade tapered like a leaf, broad, flat and razor thin along the edge. This venerable leaf-shape has been around for centuries found on serviceable everyday cutting instruments in China. It's a definite winner for general utility, hunting and tactical applications. The C65 has a 3 5/32 inch 80mm flat-ground blade made of VG-10 or ZDP-189 stainless steel. Matched up with a Almite coated aluminum handle, it's hard to say which reigns supreme, performance or eye appeal.
The handle's curvature ergonomically fits your hand for precise performance. A nested LinerLock enhances lock strength, granting peace of mind when really muscling down on a cut. The pivot pin is eccentric and adjustable for wear. Overall weight is 2.6 ounces (779 grams). The Chinese Folder is a high-tech version of a time proven design.
The knife world was saddened to learn of the passing of one its premier custom knifemakers in 2008. Bob Lum was a custom knifemaker who took traditional Asian designs and infused them with all things modern.